A.L. Becker Southeast Asian Literature in Translation Prize
The A.L. Becker Southeast Asian Literature in Translation Prize recognizes an outstanding English translation of a work of Southeast Asian literature from any country of the region (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, or Viet Nam).
Works translated from any Southeast Asian language are eligible. The Prize recognizes the importance of works of translation in teaching about the region. Any translation, published in any format, from a work that may be broadly defined as literature within the norms of the country of publication is eligible. The translator need not be a member of the AAS.
The Prize was established in 2011 and is awarded triennially.
$1,000 award for the translator.
Guidelines for Submission
- Only books bearing a copyright date of 2018, 2019 or 2020 will be eligible for the 2022 awards.
- Publishers must complete the book nomination form.
- Each press may nominate a maximum of six books for the Becker Prize.
- Only publishers may nominate books.
- Upon receipt of a completed nomination form, publishers will be provided with addresses for prize committee members. A copy of each entry, clearly labeled “A.L. Becker Book Prize,” must be sent to each member of the appropriate committee.
Nominations must be received by July 15, 2021 to be eligible for the 2022 awards.
Becker Prize Committee
Nhung Tuyet Tran (Chair)
University of Toronto
SOAS University of London
Patricio N. Abinales
University of Hawaii at Manoa
University of Pennsylvania