James B. Palais Book Prize
The James B. Palais Prize of the Association for Asian Studies was initiated by the Palais Prize committee headed by AAS President Robert Buswell in 2008-09. The Palais Prize is given annually to an outstanding scholar of Korean studies from any discipline or country specialization to recognize distinguished scholarly work on Korea.
The Palais Prize carries a $1,000 cash award.
Guidelines for Submission
- There are no citizenship or residence requirements for nominees.
- Authors need not be AAS members.
- Any original, scholarly, nonfiction work with a copyright date of 2018 or 2019 is eligible.
- Reference works, exhibition catalogs, translations, textbooks, collections of previously published essays, poetry, fiction, travel books, memoirs or autobiographies are not eligible.
- Publishers must complete the book nomination form. Each press may nominate a maximum of six books for the Palais Prize.
- Only publishers may nominate books.
- Upon receipt of a completed nomination form, publishers will be provided with addresses for prize committee members. A copy of each entry, clearly labeled “James B. Palais Prize,” must be sent to each member of the committee.
Nominations must be received by June 30, 2020 to be eligible for the 2021 awards.
Palais Prize Committee
Ruth Barraclough (Chair)
The Australian National University
Yoon Sun Yang
Steven Hugh Lee
University of British Columbia