James B. Palais Book Prize
The James B. Palais Prize of the Association for Asian Studies was initiated by the Palais Prize committee headed by AAS President Robert Buswell in 2008-09. The Palais Prize is given annually to an outstanding scholar of Korean studies from any discipline or country specialization to recognize distinguished scholarly work on Korea.
The Palais Prize carries a $1,000 cash award.
Guidelines for Submission
- There are no citizenship or residence requirements for nominees.
- Authors need not be AAS members.
- Any original, scholarly, nonfiction work with a copyright date of 2017 or 2018 is eligible.
- Reference works, exhibition catalogs, translations, textbooks, collections of previously published essays, poetry, fiction, travel books, memoirs or autobiographies are not eligible.
- Each entry should be submitted in an envelope clearly labeled “Palais Prize” or have a letter of nomination enclosed.
Nominations for the prize may be made by trade book publishers, university presses, or any member of the Association for Asian Studies. Self-nomination is not allowed. Nominators must send one copy of a nominated work to each member of the review committee listed below.
Copies must be received by the committee members no later than August 1, 2019.
Palais Prize Committee
Eujung Kim (Chair)
Women’s & Gender Studies Department
340 Sims Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244
Department of Pacific and Asian History
School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia & the Pacific
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Steven Hugh Lee
Liu Institute for Global Issues #309
6476 NW Marine Drive
V6T 1Z2 Vancouver, BC