In the AAS Fall 2020 election, association members voted to create a Diversity and Equity Committee (DEC) to advise the Board of Directors on matters relating to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The DEC works directly with the AAS Board of Directors, and through the Board, liaison with the Councils, the Program Committee, the Editorial Board, and the Journal of Asian Studies. The responsibilities of the DEC include proposing new programs that advance the cause of diversity, equity, and inclusivity in Asian Studies; providing feedback on existing programs and initiatives; and representing membership views on these issues to the Board.
- Don J. Wyatt, Middlebury College, History; Tenure-Track Faculty (Chair)
- John (Song Pae) Cho, University of British Columbia, Okanagan, Anthropology; Tenure-Track Faculty
- Wen Liu, Academia Sinica, Institute of Ethnology; Tenure-track/Adjunct/Non-tenure-track/Independent Scholar
- Felicity Stone-Richards, University of California, Santa Barbara, Political Science; Graduate Student
- Elena Valussi, Loyola University Chicago, Religion; Adjunct/Non-tenure-track/Independent Scholar