E. Gene Smith Inner Asia Book Prize
Named to honor the distinguished scholar of Tibet, Mongolia, and other areas of Inner Asia, the E. Gene Smith Book Prize, offered biennially, honors outstanding and innovative scholarship across discipline and country of specialization for a book on Inner Asia.
Books nominated may address either contemporary or historical topics in any field of the humanities or the social sciences related to any of the countries and regions in the wide swath of Asia stretching from the eastern border of Afghanistan to Mongolia, i.e., Tibet, Xinjiang or Mongolia, including peoples coming recently from those areas.
$1,000 award for the author.
Guidelines for Submission
- Only books bearing a copyright date of 2019 or 2020 will be eligible for the 2022 awards.
- Publishers must complete the book nomination form.
- Each press may nominate a maximum of six books for the Smith Prize.
- Only publishers may nominate books.
- Upon receipt of a completed nomination form, publishers will be provided with addresses for prize committee members. A copy of each entry, clearly labeled “E. Gene Smith Inner Asia Book Prize,” must be sent to each member of the appropriate committee.
Nominations must be received by July 15, 2021 to be eligible for the 2022 awards.
Smith Prize Committee
Ron Sela (Chair)
University of Hong Kong