John Whitney Hall Book Prize
The 27th annual John Whitney Hall Book Prize will be awarded at the AAS annual conference in 2021 for an outstanding English language book published on Japan during 2019.
The winner will receive a $1,000 prize.
Guidelines for Submission
- Books nominated may address either contemporary or historical topics in any field of the humanities or the social sciences.
- Translations from Japanese into English are eligible only if they include a substantial introduction, annotation, and critical apparatus.
- Reference works, exhibition catalogs, multi-authored collections of essays, textbooks, original poetry or fiction, memoirs, or autobiographies are not eligible.
- Authors need not be members of the AAS.
- Publishers must complete the book nomination form. Each press may nominate a maximum of three books for the Hall Prize competition.
- Only publishers may nominate books.
- Upon receipt of a completed nomination form, publishers will be provided with addresses for prize committee members. A copy of each entry, clearly labeled “John Whitney Hall Prize,” must be sent to each member of the committee.
Nominations must be received by June 30, 2020 to be eligible for the 2021 awards.
Hall Prize Committee
Jonathan Abel (Chair)
Pennsylvania State University
University of North Carolina at Charlotte