John Whitney Hall Book Prize
The 26th annual John Whitney Hall Book Prize will be awarded at the AAS annual conference in 2020 for an outstanding English language book published on Japan during 2018.
The winner will receive a $1,000 prize.
Guidelines for Submission
- Books nominated may address either contemporary or historical topics in any field of the humanities or the social sciences.
- Translations from Japanese into English are eligible only if they include a substantial introduction, annotation, and critical apparatus.
- Reference works, exhibition catalogs, multi-authored collections of essays, textbooks, original poetry or fiction, memoirs, or autobiographies are not eligible.
- Authors need not be members of the AAS.
- Publishers must notify the Prize Committee Chair in writing of their intent to submit by June 30, 2019.
- Presses must also send one copy of each work nominated, clearly labeled “John Whitney Hall Prize Nomination,” to each of the Prize Committee members at the addresses below.
Nominations must be made by publishers (trade publishers or university presses). Nominations are not accepted from authors. Publishers are allowed to submit no more than two nominations.
Entries must be received by June 30, 2019 to be eligible for the 2020 awards.
Hall Prize Committee
Jonathan Abel (Chair)
Dept. of Comparative Literature & Asian Studies
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802
925 International Affairs Bldg
420 W. 118th St.
NY NY 10027
Department of Religion
233 1879 Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544