March 2020: Please view an important announcement about our new distribution partnership with Columbia University Press.
Key Issues in Asian Studies books are designed for use in undergraduate humanities and social science courses, as well as by advanced high-school students and teachers, and will appeal to anyone with an interest in Asia. Books in the series complement Education About Asia, and serve as vital educational materials that are both accessible and affordable for classroom use. Key Issues books tackle broad subjects or major cultural and historical themes in an introductory but compelling, jargon-free style appropriate for survey courses, written to encourage classroom debate and discussion.
Questions/Suggestions: If you have questions about Key Issues in Asian Studies—or have suggestions for topics that would be useful in your teaching—please contact Key Issues Editor, Lucien Ellington, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential Authors: view the call for proposals and author guidelines.
The following Key Issues in Asian Studies titles, written by leading teachers/scholars in their fields are now available, with more exciting titles in the works:
China and Inner Asia
- Chinese Literature: An Introduction (Ihor Pidhainy)
- The Mongol Empire in World History (Helen Hundley)
- Modern Chinese History (David Kenley)
- Traditional China in Asian and World History (Tansen Sen and Victor Mair)
- Political Rights in Post-Mao China (Merle Goldman)
- Japanese Popular Culture and Globalization (William M. Tsutsui)
- Japan and Imperialism, 1853–1945 (James L. Huffman)
- Japanese Literature: From Murasaki to Murakami (Marvin Marcus)
- Japan Since 1945 (Paul E. Dunscomb)
- East Asian Societies (W. Lawrence Neuman)
- Understanding East Asia’s Economic “Miracles” (Zhiqun Zhu)
- Confucius in East Asia (Jeffrey L. Richey)
- Korea in World History (Donald N. Clark)
- Zen Past and Present (Eric Cunningham)
- Global India ca 100 CE: South Asia in Early World History (Richard H. Davis)
- Caste in India (Diane Mines)
- Indonesia: History, Heritage, Culture (Kathleen M. Adams)
- The Philippines: From Earliest Times to the Present (Damon L. Woods)
- The Story of Việt Nam: From Prehistory to the Present (Shelton Woods)
- Gender, Sexuality, and Body Politics in Modern Asia (Michael Peletz)