The AAS has a graduated dues structure. As a non-profit association, we rely on the graduated dues system to help partially subsidize dues for younger or more impoverished members.
Membership dues (except for Associate, Non-OECD, Student, and Patron/Lifetime members) are based on gross income from all sources, not limited to one’s individual salary.
AAS MEMBERSHIP DUES, EFFECTIVE JUNE 15, 2022
|Membership Category||Gross Annual Income||One Year||Two Years||Three Years|
Associate membership is available to a spouse of a regular AAS member whose membership is current during the same time frame. The fee paid by the regular member is to be based on the higher income of the two. Associate members have the same benefits as regular members but are not mailed the printed Journal of Asian Studies.
The Non-OECD Membership rate is available to scholars residing in non-OECD countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America earning less than $46,000/year. This membership rate will require administrative approval. Individuals interested in this rate must submit documentation during the online enrollment process that attests to their employment with, enrollment at, or affiliation with an organization in a non-OECD country (a country that does not appear on this list of OECD members. Scholars in Hong Kong and Singapore will be approved on a case-by-case basis).
A student membership (and proof of current student status) is required in order to receive student member benefits. Students who purchase a regular membership are not eligible for the above benefits. Students who join as a regular member cannot change to the student membership category until the duration of the regular membership has expired.
- Students are to be engaged in studies that will result in a university degree. Individuals who already have earned a doctorate degree may not join at the student category. The student category is designated for full-time students with genuinely low incomes.
- Two forms of student status verification are required before membership can be activated. Please submit two of the following:
- Enrollment Verification Letter from the official registrar with current date
- Copy of Transcript – must include current semester
- Copy of Current Course Schedule – must include date of current semester courses and your name
- Copy of student ID – must include the current school year
- Please scan and send images of both forms of verification via the online membership form.
- A student card that is valid for several years does not indicate current student status – additional proof of current enrollment is required.
AAS significantly subsidizes this level of membership and allows members to remain at this level for a maximum of seven (7) years.