We face the drastic increase in international migration and stateless persons, the prolonged pandemic, extensive digital surveillance, the prevalence of extended platform economies, the precarity of temporary laborers on land and at sea, environmental crisis, and climate change. Along with these developing conditions, the intensified social inequality worldwide also escalates.
The project of decolonization in the 21st century is to identify and analyze the uneven power relation in contemporary societies that engineers and reproduces the unequal social relations and environmental injustice. We invite interdisciplinary critical analysis and innovative artistic projects to engage with the task of decolonization in the 21st century:
(I) Global Capitalism and Technologies of Governance
(II) Marginalized Populations, Stateless Persons and Migrant Laborers
(III) Environmental Justice/Injustice
(IV) Social Engagement and Art Intervention
We welcome postgraduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and advanced scholars worldwide to share their ongoing projects with various disciplinary backgrounds: cultural studies, media and communication studies, critical legal studies, cultural sociology, literary studies, film studies, visual cultural studies, cultural anthropology, political philosophy, and related fields are all welcome.
The Institute will offer lectures, seminars, roundtables, and workshops for participants to spend the week learning from one another. The following keynote speakers have been confirmed:
• Ranabir Samaddar (Distinguished Chair, Migration and Forced Migration Studies, Calcutta Research Group, India)
• Pun Ngai (Chair Professor, Department of Cultural Studies, Lingnan University, Hong Kong)
• Ruba Salih (Professor, Department of Anthropology and Sociology, SOAS University of London, UK)
• Tess Lea (Head, Department of Community, Culture and Global Studies, University of British Columbia, Okanagan, Canada)
• Ken Kawashima (Associate Professor, East Asian Studies, University of Toronto, Canada)
Apply to Participate: https://acsi2023.web.nycu.edu.tw/registration/
Organized by International Center for Cultural Studies, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, Taiwan & Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University, Australia
In collaboration with Calcutta Research Group, India & Department of Cultural Studies, Lingnan University, Hong Kong