AAS Conference Mentor Program
The AAS is excited to launch a new conference initiative- the AAS Conference Mentor Program. This program aims to build community within the AAS and serves as a vehicle for graduate students and early-career scholars to experience professional development at the AAS conference. The program connects Asian Studies academics and professionals at varying levels of their careers with those in the early stages; allowing students, contingent faculty and junior faculty to both build their professional network and seek advice within a structured setting.
The mentor program will consist of group discussions on various topics such as career development both inside and outside the academy, grant writing, tenure track, publishing and more. Mentees will have the opportunity to select one or multiple mentoring sessions taking place on Friday, March 20 and Saturday, March 21 between the hours of 9:00am – 5:00pm during the conference. Sessions will consist of no more than 7-9 individuals including the mentor and will take place in the exhibit hall in a dedicated space.
We are now accepting sign-ups for mentors willing to devote 60-90 minutes for group mentoring sessions on a variety of topics. Suggested topics include:
- How to navigate an academic conference to your advantage
- How to write a research grant proposal
- Preparing for tenure-track careers
- Preparing seminar papers and thesis for publication
- Prepping your CV for careers beyond the academy
- Teaching and mentoring of graduate students
- Teaching and mentoring of undergraduates
- What is professional service and what does it do for you?
Mentors may also suggest topics upon sign-up.
Requirements for Mentors:
- Must be a current AAS Member
- Must be registered for the Annual Conference
- Mid-career or senior scholars as well as professionals from outside the academy
- Must demonstrate knowledge/expertise in selected topics
- Submission of CV
Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 14, 2020
In January 2020, we will post a sign-up form for individuals interested in taking part in a mentor session on the select topics listed above. Topic listed above are only suggested; availability is subject to change based on final mentor selection and schedule. Please stay tuned for more information.