Volunteer to Chair a Session
The AAS Program Committee is seeking session chairs for the 2023 Annual Conference. Please consider volunteering as a session chair for an Individual Paper Session. Volunteer Session opportunities are available for both in-person and virtual sessions!
The Program Committee is responsible for creating sessions for individually submitted papers accepted to the program. One of the most rewarding experiences for conference attendees is serving as a volunteer for Program Committee-formed sessions. It can help establish valuable connections to a new group of scholars that you may not have otherwise met. This opportunity is open to anyone selected to participate on a session as well to those who are not presenting this year but still would like to attend and actively participate in our conference. Volunteers for the Chair role are greatly appreciated.
If you’re interested in volunteering as a chair, please click the link below to fill out the form. When completing the volunteer form, you will be able to indicate your geographic area of study primary interest. The deadline to submit this form is November 7.
Please note that all volunteers must register to Annual Conference.
The Program Committee Chairs will review the volunteer sign-ups for potential schedule conflicts and will confirm the session(s) chair assignments by late November.
We are so excited you decided to attend the AAS2023 Annual Conference and look forward to connecting with you soon!
Click the links below to review the responsibilities associated with the chair role.
Before the Meeting
- Contact your panelists at least six weeks prior to the meeting.
- The AAS will provide the contact information for each panelist.
- Determine the format and amount of time available to each participant
- At least 20 minutes at the end of the session should be reserved for audience questions and comments
- If you would also like to share comments on papers, reach an agreement about the deadline for receipt of completed papers. It is important to receive papers in advance of the meeting.
- Notify participants that any changes to paper titles or abstracts should be communicated promptly to the secretariat. All participants will have access to edit their paper title or abstract via the Speaker Center.
- The deadline date for final edits is November 17, 2022.
- Determine if participants wish to coordinate in loading visual material onto a single laptop.
During the Session
- Introduce the members of the panel
- Make a note of anyone who doesn’t appear on the panel and inform AAS Conference Organizers
- Keep the speakers to their time limits
- Moderate audience participation.
- The Chair should feel free to introduce the papers and kick off the discussion with questions, comments, or remarks.
Application Deadline: November 7, 2022