Call for Mentors
The AAS is excited to launch a new conference initiative—the AAS Conference Mentor Program. This program aims to build community within the AAS and serves as a vehicle for graduate students and early-career scholars to experience professional development at the AAS conference. The program connects Asian Studies mentors and senior scholars with those in the early stages of their careers, allowing students, contingent faculty, and junior faculty to both build their professional network and seek advice within a structured setting.
The mentor program will consist of group discussions on various topics such as: career development both inside and outside the academy, grant writing, tenure track careers, publishing, and more. Mentees will have the opportunity to select one or multiple mentoring sessions taking place during multiple time slot beginning on Monday, March 22 through Friday, March 26. Sessions will consist of no more than 10 individuals, including the mentor, and will take place via videoconference.
Mentor Time Slots
Monday, March 22 – Friday, March 26, 10:15am – 11:45am Eastern Time
Monday, March 22 – Friday, March 26, 1:45pm – 2:45pm Eastern Time
We are now accepting sign-ups for mentors willing to devote 60-90 minutes for group mentoring sessions on a variety of topics. Suggested topics include:
- Preparing for tenure-track careers
- Preparing seminar papers and theses for publication
- Prepping your CV for careers beyond the academy
- Teaching and mentoring of undergraduates
- How to navigate an Annual Conference to your advantage
- Teaching and mentoring of graduate students
- What is career service and what does it do for you?
Mentors may also suggest topics upon sign-up.
Application deadline: February 15, 2021
Requirements for Mentors:
- Must be a current AAS Member
- Must be registered for the Annual Conference
- Mid-career or senior scholars as well as professionals from outside the academy
- Must demonstrate knowledge/expertise in selected topics
Please note: we will issue a separate call for Mentees to sign up to attend mentorship sessions closer to the conference dates, after Mentors have been selected and the schedule prepared.