January 18, 2023 February 1, 2023
The Japan-US Friendship Commission (JUSFC) has awarded the AAS $5,000 to support the AAS 2023 Annual Conference attendance of up to 5 graduate students in Japan Studies. The aim is to increase the presence and participation of racial and ethnic minorities as well as LGBTQ+ students, students with disabilities, as well as those of low socioeconomic status, and other underrepresented groups. Applicants do not need to be a part of an organized session, nor do they need to be members of the AAS, to receive the grant.
Applications from Japan Studies graduate students who meet any or multiple meet the following DEI criteria will be considered:
- Black, LatinX, and LGBTQ+ students focused on the study of Japan
- First-generation young scholars
- Students at institutions with limited support for Asian Studies
- Students with disabilities
- Students of low socioeconomic status
- Students who belong to another underrepresented group
Eligible costs for the grant include airfare and hotel accommodations up to $1,000 per awardee from their institution to Boston, MA for the in-person conference March 16-19, 2023. Awards will be provided on a reimbursement basis following the conference.
Applicants must submit the following:
- A short narrative explanation of the applicant’s current research and its connection to Japan Studies (maximum 500 words).
- The applicant’s plan for AAS conference participation. This should include details of session presentation, including title and focus (if applicable), and a proposed plan for networking and engagement in conference activities (maximum 500 words).
- A current CV (no longer than 2 pages).
- Proof of student status (either current AAS student Membership status or two forms of student status verification:)
- Enrollment Verification Letter from the official registrar with current date
- Copy of Transcript – must include current semester
- Copy of Current Course Schedule – must include date of current semester courses and your name
- Copy of student ID – must include the current school year
- AAS Membership Number (if applicable)
The Association for Asian Studies is grateful for the support of the JUSFC and is delighted to have this opportunity to support conference participants.
Please Note: Conditions of JUSFC funding dictate that only U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible to receive awards.